I graduated from Texas Woman's University in 1987 and have been a practicing pediatric physical therapist for more than 20 years. After working in both hospital-based and outpatient environments, I served as the consulting therapist for CHOSEN Clinic, a medically fragile and multiply handicapped children's clinic operated by The University of Texas Health Science Center Houston. The experience and the professional relationships established while at UTHSC Houston continue to be invaluable, and enable me to freely contact and discuss issues with other specialists when devising a comprehensive plan of care.
In 2000, I completed board certification as a pediatric clinical specialist, and have been specialist certified ever since. I am additionally certified in Pediatric Neurodevelopmental Treatment and as a Clinical Instructor through the Texas Consortium. I’ve been honored with the Excellence in Clinical Practice Award by the Texas Physical Therapy Association.
Additionally, I’ve served as Chair of the International Affairs Committee of the American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine for several years and am a strong supporter of their global education efforts. I’ve also lectured internationally, taught for the World Health Organization, and provided physical therapy clinical education and training around the world. I am an active member of the following organizations:
- The American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine
- The American Physical Therapy Association
- The Dystonia Research Foundation
- The Eastern European and Mediterranean Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine
- The European Academy of Childhood Disability
- The Exceptional Clincians Collaboration (Founding Member)
- The International Federation of Orthotics and Prosthetics
- The Neurodevelopmental Treatment Association